It has been a whirlwind two weeks in the Roxie Ginger household. We normally take an annual vacation to coincide with our anniversary, but this year due to work commitments, we had to make some scheduling compromises and couldn’t be gone on our anniversary day. We spent 9 days in the UK watching the Olympics and spending time with dear friends in Scotland, and as soon as we returned I had a whirlwind week with my boss visiting from New York. In all the excitement, Davis and I almost didn’t find time to celebrate 6 wonderful years together.
Luckily, we were able to have our day all to ourselves and had an amazing time. We had an afternoon spent on the beach, made a delicious dinner at home and saw The Guard, (starring the always amazing Brandon Gleeson and Don Cheadle) which we highly recommend. After which, we rambled on home and happened upon a place that serves, in our opinion anyway, Barcelona’s best gin and tonic.
While we weren’t out on a romantic getaway or a fancy restaurant this year, we spent our day in a way that combined the components of what makes us happy all 364 other days of the year.
This was what we ate, and quite frankly, there are worse ways to spend dinner.
What you’ll need:
- 2 – 1 inch thick tenderloin steaks
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 spanish onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. Camembert cheese
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. Butter, melted
- 1 tsp. Oregano, dried
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 peach, quartered
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
Camembert potato puree
- Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until soft (appx. 30 minutes).
- Boil potatoes until soft all the way through – a quick test is to pierce with a knife and it should go through the potato with no resistance. Once done, remove potatoes from water and dice.
- While the potatoes are boiling, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a pan. Once hot, add the garlic and onion. Cook for 5 minutes over medium high heat until soft.
- Add cooked potatoes, garlic, onion, cheese, butter, salt, pepper, and cream to a blender. Blend until well pureed. No lumps.
Herbed butter and grilled peaches
- Melt butter in a small bowl. You can melt it in a pan or by using the microwave.
- Add the oregano and salt to the melted butter.
- Put butter in the freezer for 10 minutes and then move to the refrigerator.
- While the butter is in the freezer, add olive oil to a griddle pan over high heat.
- Once oil is hot, add peaches and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes.
- The peaches will be soft with grilled marks, but not mushy. Once they’re thoroughly cooked add to a plate and allow to drain.
- Make sure tenderloin is room temperature.
- Salt and pepper each side of the steak generously.
- Add steak to the same griddle that the peaches were cooked in. The pan should be very hot. Cook 4 minutes on each side for medium rare.
- Remove from the heat and add to a plate. Allow the steak to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Plating for this dish is important, as you want to be able to taste the flavors all together. It really does pay off, as the flavor combination is fantastic, and it looks great, as well. Add potato puree on a plate, place cooked steak on top of the potato puree and top with herbed butter. Place the grilled peaches on the side.